Wednesday 15 January 2014

An Experiment in Thread Sketching

For our Contemporary Quilt Journal Quilt Challange
 this year we have to make an 8" sq mini quilt each month,
theme etc to be decided upon individually but each piece
must have a line that cuts through it from one 
side to the other.

So I have given myself 2 challenges.
The first is to use up some 
of the many pieces of fabric I have experimented 
on! Some have been dyed, some printed on in
various ways.  Many of them reside in my
'What on earth am I going to do with
this  piece!' box. 

The 2nd challenge is to improve my
thread sketching skills and to learn
to let go the regimented 'I must
follow the line and be neat' mentality!

I started by sorting and stacking my fabric into
 seasonal colours, Spring, Summer, Autumn & Winter.
As good a starting point as any.


SPRING

The proceeded to tear the fabric up
into strips and lay it down on my wadding
any which way I chose before adhering
it all down with 505 spray.

SUMMER

Once stuck the pieces were then stitched 
down with a zigzag stitch.  


AUTUMN

All that is left to do now is to 
let loose and stitch the birds on before .....


WINTER

Adding a few hand stitches to finish it all off.


No comments: